Monday, January 11, 2010

The Measure of Student "Worth"

I recently took part in a discussion where my teacher asked why students weren't motivated to do their work. I have an idea of why. School work and employment are not an appropriate way to measure a person's value as a human being. They don't have classes on volunteer work, compassion, and supporting people around you. They aren't many high paying jobs that let you flex your creativity, incorporate your own ideas, and help the people around you. How can teachers and bosses possibly determine who we are as people without truly exploring our true passions and purposes in life? There is no one person that should have that kind of power over another person. I earn respectable grades, but thats not what I value in myself, thats not what makes me the person I am. I love being myself because I have the capacity to be a good person and find the good in other people. You can't put a grade on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment