Friday, February 5, 2010

Love

The Beatles says all you need is love, and they may be right. Loving is something we do as humans that we have little to no control over. It is an emotion that terrifies us just as much as it fills us and makes us whole. We are afraid to drop our guard, we are afraid to show the people we truly are underneath. When we are in our schools or workplaces, the guard goes up and no one quite knows who we are. When we block out the world, we block out our love. Loving is something that needs to happen or we slowly deteriorate as people. It gives purpose to the monotony that is life. It fills us up and gives us something to hope for even when all is lost. The problem is when love hurts. Just like every other risk in life, there is the possibility of disappointment. So what do we do when we get knocked down on our asses by love? What if we love and it seems wasted? What if the person we love doesn't want our love? We move on. We move on with no regrets. Many people get very sad and need time for those wounds to heal, swearing they will never love again. But what kind of life would that be? A life of steady depression leading down to loneliness and solitude for the rest of our days. And it will sometime be difficult, but if you try to give your love to someone, and they don't feel the same way, you have to still express it. Love is not always romantic. For example, I can't give my romantic love to the person I want to, so I remember that my friends are who I truly love. The people who have stood by me, through all of my bitching and occasionally crying, and have never asked for anything in return. I wouldn't trade Martin, Ben, Clay, Ambrielle, Kate, Domingo, or Andrew for anyone else, because they are my family. So when love kicks us down, we just have to dust ourselves off and try again. We have to. This world is filled with so much hate and anger already that the only way to combat it is by being with one another. And you never really know just how much love is in your life until you really take a step back and think about it. I am so fortunate to have amazing people that do care about me in my life. Despite our arguments and messing with each other, I know they would do anything for me. And who am I to say I wouldn't do the same? So when the future looks dim, your love life is crashing down around you, you have to save yourself by going back into the world with your heart wide open, ready to let people back into it. And always know that you are loved. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment